Monday 25 January 2010

Should Andrew Strauss be going to Bangladesh?








My problem is that no-one agrees with me! I honestly cannot believe this. This was
not some deliberately contrary piece. It’s what I truly believe. England’s cricketers play too much cricket and, until the schedule is reduced, we will have to get used to rotation. Our players simply cannot go on the way they are. And always at the back of our minds should be the Marcus Trescothick issue. That cannot be dismissed out of hand as an exception. Others could easily slide down that path.

Many have said to me that team morale will be affected. I honestly do not think it will. That’s why I ran through a possible eleven stating reasons why they will be concentrating on a big tour. Even Kevin Pietersen, that most emotional of subjects on these blogs, will be up for it.

While we’re on that subject, you know what I would do with him now? Bat him at No 5. That’s been his favourite position all along. He was batting there for Hampshire when he was selected for the 2005 Ashes. He doesn’t relish the new ball. He doesn’t relish the short ball from the very fastest men. But he can destroy from lower down the order. Protecting him? Maybe. But Steve Waugh batted most of his Test career at No 5 and I didn’t hear anyone calling him soft. Well, I did actually, and it was Mike Atherton talking about him wetting himself; a comment that backfired spectacularly.

No comments:

Post a Comment